Friday 4 March 2011

Eleven Electric Lies & The Seventh Rule — Chapter 3

Before we continue with the current serial, I'd like to mention that my latest round-up of stories is available in a new printed edition, available today via the presses of Lulu. If you still like books, or know somebody else who still likes books, or just like supporting independent publishing by putting money in the pockets of the artists you enjoy, please consider ordering a copy or two of Eleven Electric Lies: Collected Stories Volume III.

The anthology covers such ground as young Captain Ting in
The Christmas Robots, Mr. Mississauga in The Taste of Blue, Mike Zhang in And Bananas for All, everyone's favourite revolutionary Lithloric "Idiot" Waterpipes in Idiot's Mask, and more.

Meanwhile, here's the third installment of The Seventh Rule...


III.

Not far from the vein, while marching a length of quiet pipe, we heard quarreling voices. I urged my brothers to continue homeward while I investigated, for my manhood was only recently achieved and like all young hunters I was hungry to prove myself against adventures so that I might be lauded and sung about over the vents.

Using all of my cunning I crept upon the quarrel, hugging the cables that feed the lamps as I clung underside the ceiling, a knife clutched in my handsome yellow teeth.

I found two people and a small blind whale.

They were overworlders, yes, but I did not fall upon them right away. I watched. Though their speech was ridiculous and incorrect I was never the less fascinated to see that their hearts were not entirely unlike our own -- they bickered as any man and woman might.

In my opinion they looked supple and delicious, and so I waited for my opportunity to strike, hanging unseen over their heads as they shouted.

But instead of trying to console the woman so his night could be peaceful the man's anger grew, and finally he struck her across the face as if she were not an adult woman but a misbehaving child.

She ran to the whale, and an aperture unfolded from its side. She tried to put herself inside its body but the man pulled her out. She began to implore but his rage was total. He struck her again, and then she twisted free and dived inside the whale. She yanked closed the hatch before he could get under it, and then the whale's lights all lighted up and its stomach growled.

I realized that she was going to feed the man to the whale. It is well known that whales are bloodthirsty things.

The man tried to stand in front of the beast to interfere with its progress, but the whale was not intimidated. It surged forward and crushed its nose against the side of an archway, pinning the man. He made a sound of lamentation but it was brief. Even as the echoes of the impact died away through the nearby roots he was lifeless. The side of the whale popped open and the woman slid out in a spew of viscous blue collision fluid. She vomited some of the fluid out of her nose and mouth and then, confoundingly, attempted to return to the ruined giant carcass.

I decided it was time to intervene. If she damaged herself from grief she would not make a good meal. When the inner pipes of prey are perforated during death their dark essences can leak into the meat and turn it to poison. Members of my own clan have sickened and died in this way.

I leapt down from the ceiling and she screamed. I raised my knife but she dodged it, throwing herself against the collision fluid bubbling out of the stricken whale.

I understood why the man had been shouting at her: she was crazy.

But when she emerged from the foam I had a second understanding, taller than the first, and this was that she was not crazy. She was a mother. With desperate conviction she extracted a baby from the fluid, scooping strings of the stuff out of the baby's mouth and smacking the baby's back until it coughed and shrieked, as if it had been born of the beast.

She rolled her back against the whale and clutched the child to her breast, facing me with one arm raised defensively.

The Seventh Rule continues Monday...

6 comments:

Sheik Yerbouti said...

Congratulations on the latest anthology!

You have left me very curious as to where this is heading, and what other Burgerverse characters we might encounter before the tale runs its course.

Sheik Yerbouti said...

Also, clever cover. The "see no evil" robot reminds me of WALL-E; is he in fact a proto-body version of Felix?

Bridget said...

Anthology ordered. Woohoo! And given my level of busy this week, I might even get to read The Seventh Rule in print before I get a chance to sit down and read it serialized.

Cheeseburger Brown said...

Sheik said,

Congratulations on the latest anthology!

To which I say thanks kindly. It's been 9/10ths of the way done for a quite a while now -- it just needed a couple more stories to round it out.

Also, clever cover. The "see no evil" robot reminds me of WALL-E; is he in fact a proto-body version of Felix?

To be the honest the robots in the illustration are purely fanciful -- that is, they don't really have any direct connection to a specific story. It's just a sort of visual joke, read left to right, in which the right-most figure's lack of anthropomorphism is more or less the punchline.

You have left me very curious as to where this is heading, and what other Burgerverse characters we might encounter before the tale runs its course.

This one stays pretty compartmentalized, really. It's just about itself. Or, or about what it's not about. To my mind this is a sort of read-between-the-lines story without being clumsily symbolic or an awkward allegory.

Yours,
Cheeseburger Brown

Cheeseburger Brown said...

Bridget said,

Anthology ordered. Woohoo!

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm. I hope you enjoy it in pulp squared form (that is, pulp on pulp)!

And given my level of busy this week, I might even get to read The Seventh Rule in print before I get a chance to sit down and read it serialized.

Good luck and keep on keeping on. Myself I'm dodging obligations left and right in order to pull this collection together and prepare for the upcoming Toronto Comic Con fun.

Yours,
Cheeseburger Brown

SaintPeter said...

My level of delight is increased geometrically with the level of suspense. I cannot wait to see if our protagonist finds common cause with this distressed mother.

*hangs from the edge of this literary cliff with his fingernails*